Sunday, April 21, 2013

THE RETURN OF WINTER

Last weekend the temperature was in the high 60s but by this Saturday had dipped into the 40s and 50s, so it was a struggle giving the motor a second coat of paint.After warming up the garage a little the motor was heated up enough to spray again so I rolled it out onto the driveway and added another coat.





FRESHLY PAINTED MOTOR

While the paint was drying, I started fabricating a mount for the RPM Sensor. I had purchased a reluctance ring that was originally used in a Jeep distributor and mounted it on the end of the Warp 9 shaft. 


  RELUCTANCE RING FOR JEEP

Then it was time to search around the garage for some material to make the mount. I found a bracket that came off of a 1984 Blazer that looked like it could be modified to work for the mount so I started fitting and measuring. After bending, drilling a hole for the sensor and welding some reinforcement to stiffen it, I bolted it to the end of the motor and installed the sensor.

 
 
RPM SENSOR INSTALLED
  
The flywheel was resurfaced last week and a new clutch and pressure plate were ordered. With the paint now dry, I installed the flywheel.

 RESURFACED FLYWHEEL INSTALLED

The brakes were installed and after some problems with the passenger side, both sides were finally on. Can't wait to bleed them and adjust the parking brake, it should be a real treat.

BRAKES INSTALLED AND COVERED

Before installing the cradle the J1772 and 220 volt plugs are going to need to be installed. As I will be charging mostly from home, I am going to install a regular 220 volt plug where the original gas fill was located. The Fiero had a vent on the side to let additional air into the engine compartment  to take the heat away from the ICE so I am going to use that opening to mount the J1772 plug.

SIDE VENT OPENING

 J1772 IN OPENING

After the mounts are installed I am going to paint the engine bay, install the plugs, then lift in the cradle. When I had the flywheel ground the owner of RANDY'S AUTOMOTIVE MACHINE SHOP gave me the name of a shop that can build the battery boxes.

The months are flying by and it seems like I am always waiting on a package to arrive or trying to find a shop to do some machining or fabricating for me. With EVVCON being moved up a month and a half it is going to be a real struggle to get the car ready in time. Even if I do get it done, I still haven't found a way to get it to Missouri for a price I can afford. The deadline for the convention discount is the end of May so I only have a month decide. 
evcconlogo-2013-300w

Randy 

No comments: