Work is continuing on getting the USB charging set up to power the Dell Venue 8 Pro and a button has been located that will short the data leads until the charger starts on the tablet. The tablet did start charging when the cable went only to the charge port, but when a Y was connected with a mouse, the tablet did not start charging, so still working on the details.
USB CHARGE ENHANCER
A Panel has been fabricated to mount the JLD404 and the USB button but I am still working on a way to properly mount the button. Once the meter and button are mounted, the center console will be able to go back in the car. Also, I found a volt, amp, amp hour and watt hour meter on EBAY, so it may be used instead of the JLD404, as tracking watt hours would be a little more accurate way of measuring the charge than amp hours.
VOLT, AMP, AMP HOUR, WATT HOUR METER
The steering wheel cover has been sown on and the wheel mounted back in the car, so no more vice grips to steer the car when having to move it.
STEERING WHEEL COVER INSTALLED
The new seats that came with the car were removed from storage and cleaned. a bolt was missing from one of the brackets, so one was robbed from the original seats. Upon closer inspection, the seats were in much better condition that I remembered and the solid charcoal gray will look good in the Fiero.
The Better Place Module that is being bottom balanced is getting close to being finished and once the individual cells have all settled under 2.7 volts, will be charged to about 2.75. This will require manually stopping the charger at 2.75 volts as the lowest setting on the Powerlab 6 is 3 volts. The Powerlabs are good but could be so much better if Revolectrix would offer a different firmware package for EV use than is currently available for the RC crowd.
I have decided to take a week off work next week to fix the back porch steps, install a new front storm door, and try to make some progress on the Fiero. I have an offer to tow the Fiero to EVCCON and I am really close to having it ready in time, so will try to find a way to get one of the Better Place modules mounted. I sent an email about a towing dolly on Craigslist but have not heard back from the seller, so it may already have been sold.
NEW STEPS FINISHED
FINDING A SPACE FOR A MODULE
Tomorrow I am going to paint the new steps and back porch floor, then start on the new storm door. It is supposed to get up in the 90's in Ohio, so I am planning on starting early and finishing up in the evening when it starts cooling down a little. Hopefully there will be some time in there to start fabricating the angle iron to hold the Better Place Module. I may check with a local mechanic, who has a lift and is a pretty good welder, to see how busy he is. If he doesn't have much going on, he may be able to help get the Better Place Modules mounted.
Until next time,